This cycle of popularizing lectures about the history of American musical was produced in the fall of 2022 in the Bistro Syrena. Each lecture was illustrated by songs from popular Broadway hits. Participation in the lectures was free of charge.
The lectures were presented by doctor Jacek Mikołajczyk, musical scholar, translator and director of musicals as well as the artistic director of the Syrena Theatre. Tomasz Filipczak, music director of our theatre, was responsible for the musical arrangement and accompaniment during the lectures. The songs referencing popular Broadway hits were performed by actors collaborating with the Syrena Theatre.
The cycle consisted of five meetings:
- The Witches of Broadway – the history of women and femininity in musicals (guest performer Marta Burdynowicz)
- If I Were Gay – musical and sexual identity (guest performer Marek Grabiniok)
- I Like To Be In America – musical immigrants (guest performer Magdalena Placek-Boryń)
- History Has Its Eyes on You – “Hamilton” and history in musicals (guest performer Przemysław Glapiński)
- Next to normal – “normal Americans” in musical (guest performers Agnieszka Rose and Natalia Kujawa)